CITY OF SAN
1. Briefly describe the structure of your program.
Second Steps targets pre-kinder to 8th grade and sometimes high school. It teaches social skills, empathy, problem solving and anger management.
2. When was the program created and why?
The program was implemented in 1992. It teaches all children a series of steps for resolving conflict without violence. It emphasizes thinking before acting.
3. How do you measure the programís effectiveness?
The number of referrals to the Alternative Center, number of discipline referrals to campus administration office, and teachersí objective check list determine the effectiveness of the program.
4. How is the program financed?
The program is funded through San Antonio area grant foundations and funds from Drug-Free Schools.
5. How is the community involved in the programHow has the community responded to the program?
Part of the program has classes for parents on teaching techniques in dealing with their children; there have been no complaints about the program.
6. Contact person:
The United States Conference of Mayors
J. Thomas Cochran, Executive Director
Copyright © 1999, US Conference of Mayors, All rights reserved.