Community Development Block Grant
East Hartford, CT - Mayor Timothy Larson
In recent years the Town of East Hartford has experienced a downtown renaissance, one which has been funded, in large part, through CDBG. Federal funds have been used to support a local community-based development organization, Main Street Plus, which has channeled development efforts into the central business district. CDBG funds also have been used for streetscape improvement and code enforcement activities in the downtown area.
The Comstock Building reflects the success of the CDBG-funded commercial rehabilitation program. Located on Main Street, it is a 21,000-square-foot structure which the Town acquired through a tax foreclosure. It contained five retail businesses on the ground floor, but the upper two stories were vacant due to numerous code violations.
The structure actually includes two historic buildings - the Comstock Building, constructed in 1926, and Comstock Hall, built in 1899. Both are "contributing resources" to the Town's newly designated National Register Historic District, and the Comstock is in the process of being qualified under the federal Historic Tax Credit Program for rehabilitation of sites listed on the National Register.
Approximately $150,000 in CDBG funds were used to renovate the exterior facade in 1996 - a renovation which made it possible for the Town to sell the site to a private developer in August 1997. More recent renovations (roofing, handicapped accessibility and general building code compliance), funded through a combination of CDBG and State bond funds, were completed in October 1998. New tenants include a dentist's office and a real estate development company on the second floor.
Contact: Mary G. Martin, Grants Administrator, (860) 291-7206
The United States Conference of Mayors
J. Thomas Cochran, Executive Director
Copyright ©1999, U.S. Conference of Mayors, All rights reserved.